Прослушайте аудио, в котором в естественном темпе прозвучит текст, озвученный два раза разными носителями языка. Постарайтесь детально понять высказывание и ответить на нижеследующие вопросы.
1. What has Nigel Perkins achieved?
2. What has his company just presented?
3. What did the insurance company ask Nigel to do?
4. When did they ask him to investigate the case?
5. How old was the man who died?
6. How old was his wife?
7. What did she use to do for a living?
8. How did the man die?
9. How much money did his wife receive from the insurance company?
10. What had been Nigel’s relationship with the man who had died?
11. What was Nigel’s role in the investigation?
12. What did the wife know about her husband’s health?
13. How many pharmacies did she visit?
14. Over what period of time did she visit the pharmacies?
15. What did the drug she bought do to her husband’s blood circulation?
16. What was the medicine for?
17. What was the first thing Nigel’s company discovered?
18. Did the woman live in a house or a flat?
19. What did Nigel’s firm do in her block of flats?
20. Where was the garbage located in the building?
21. How much garbage did the company search through?
22. What did they finally find?
23. How long did it take them to find the prescription?
24. Whose name was on the prescription?
25. Who did they contact before visiting the pharmacies?
26. How many pharmacies did they visit?
27. Which pharmacies did they visit?
28. How many pharmacies recognized the woman in a picture?
29. What did Nigel’s firm do after that?
30. Who did the police interrogate first?
31. Did she confess or did she deny everything?
32. Who did they interrogate next?
33. Did he confess or deny everything?
34. Where are the doctor and the woman now?
35. What are they awaiting?
36. How much of the money has been recovered?
Aki Morita feels relieved. Ten minutes ago he gave his wife what he thought would be bad news: their transfer to Louisiana. He and his wife hardly ever spoke about Aki’s work. In fact, they hardly ever had time to talk to each other. This evening, however, they talked for at least 15 minutes, and Aki was surprised that his wife knew 10 times more about Louisiana than he did. She knew about Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and even Natchez, where the plantation homes are located. Aki’s wife spends a lot of time alone at home. She likes to read and three months ago she read a novel about the saga of a rich Louisiana family-before and during the American Civil War.
She explained to her husband the history of Louisiana during that period and about the way of life in Louisiana. Aki couldn’t believe it. When he told her that they would probably spend at least three years there, she said that it would be a good opportunity for the children to learn English well. What she didn’t tell him was what she had heard from other wives whose husbands work in Honda. She had heard that Japanese families who are transferred to Europe or America lead a very good life. They receive a special allowance that almost doubles the husband’s salary. Aki’s wife is very familiar with life in the United States because she reads at least four American novels every year. She has a romantic vision of the country.